The increasing number of population is an unstoppable phenomena. As the consequence, community demand will grow up that affects the exploitative behaviour to nature and environment resources. This trend has the further result on quantity and quality degradation of environmental carrying capacity. Hence, human quality becomes the central issue and has important role in an effort to save the environment. Sufficient environmental knowledge is needed by the all levels of society, especially by civitas acadêmica to participate in saving and preserving environment.
Substantially, the Geography discipline is very related to fundamental principal of environment. Therefore, Faculty of Geography UGM -as an educational institution- carrying the mandate of environment sustainability, intended to portray the environmental values in daily life, not only in campus but also at the outside, in the form of Environmentally Friendly Campus (EFC) movement.
EFC was planned at Dies Natalis Faculty of Geography, on 1st September 2009 by the Dean. EFC is also an implementation of EFSD (Education for Sustainable Development) and be a part of environmental and disaster clinic activity in Faculty of Geography.
EFC policy is the basic policy to be the reference to all academic civities in Faculty of Geography in the implementation and development of environmental based education, not only covering educational (cognitive) aspect but also can move (psychomotor) and form mental attitude (affective) in the form of awareness and behaviour to apply the principles of sustainable development in everyday life.
Our hope, EFC can be the triggered tool to all academic civities in Faculty of Geography UGM in the implementation and development of environmental based education. Hence increase the number of geographers who care about environmental problems, so in future it will be more responsible examples on the environmental preserving. Therefore, the sustainable development goal can be objectified.
EFC is implemented as the environmental resource management model that involving students, lecturers, and educational staffs. EFC is expected to be the main program in realizing environmentally friendly campus of UGM. Blue, green and clean concept will be explained in EFC program.
PRINCIPLE, SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY
Programs and activities developed by Environmentally Friendly Campus (EFC) is based on the fundamental norms of Faculty of Geography by principled to:
- Awareness : EFC implementation is not based on the sanction and punishment, but build the example, self awareness and collective awareness.
- Participatory : academic community of Faculty of Geography involved in the EFC management covering the whole planning, implementation and evaluation processes according to responsibilities and roles.
- Togetherness : EFC is directed to build the awareness, attitude and behaviour of academic civities Faculty of Geography to contribute on environmental function preservation, wherever and whenever.
- Sustainability : All EFC activities must be implemented in a planned and comprehensive manner.
In order to apply EFC in Faculty of Geography environment along with people, it is determined various scope or indicator, which are:
- Geography caring environment
- Geography saving energy and water resource
- Healthy geography
- Hospitality and cultured geography
- Pro-environment policy geography
Geography discipline is substantially related to environmental aspect. Therefore EFC is directed to build geographers who have environmentally friendly character, whether in or off the campus. Beside that, EFC purposed to:
- Increase the efficiency in implementation of campus operational activities, especially in learning process.
- Increase the budget saving through decreasing various resource and energy consumption.
- Increase the quality of learning system to be more comfortable and conducive to academic community, especially to build loving environment attitude (affective).
- Increase the effort to avoid various negative environmental risks in the future (sustainable development principle)
- Become a good and complete learning place to academic community about the good and right in preserving and environmental management values.
- Act and pay attention to the environment and disaster occurred in Indonesia.
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY CAMPUS GUIDES
GEOGRAPHY CARING ENVIRONMENT
Realizing knowledge, attitude and action of all academic civities of Faculty of Geography that care about sustainability environment:
- Implement the principles in paper saving in the lecturing activities, including :
- Using both side of paper on printing, especially for lecturing tasks (practicum and tasks);
- Implementing narrow space (1 space) in lettering and assignments;
- Always self familiarizing to save and send documents in digital form (soft file);
- Optimizing the principle and using PLO (paperless office) in office activities;
- Encouraging the systematization effort to computerize in teaching and learning process (IT based learning);
- Minimizing the paper using as the communication media especially in academic guidance activities, with optimize the online media using (internet, email and other similar media);
- Plant, treat and love the plants and garden to preserve the natural sustainability (Green Garden principle). Plant the trees to add more oxygen to the environment.
- Minimize the using of chemical materials (pesticide and its similar) and maximize the using of organic fertilizer in plants treating.
- Support the forest and wild animal protection movement whenever and wherever we are.
- Plant the trees on each opportunities and place that needed.
- Like preserving and treating garden and trees among us.
- Support the forest and wild animal protection movement that conducted by the community
- Decrease the consumption of foods and beverages that have the potential in garbage heap increasing (packaged products)
- Choose the product made by producer that environmentally friendly and preserve the resource sustainability
- Implement the rubbish management principles with environmental concepts:
- do not littering and hoarding the rubbish not in the right place.
- implement the 3R principles in rubbish management in campus, i.e. reduce, reuse and recycle.
- conduct rubbish sorting into wet-organic (garbage), dried-inorganic (rubbish), and dusts.
- provide organic and inorganic dump separately, to ease in recycle processing and compos making.
- use the recycle-able food containers and bottles.
- encourage the using of recycled things.
- minimize the disposable plastic using, and use the repeatedly using bags.
- Implement the principles of disaster mitigation management, which are:
- installing the evacuation route signs
- installing the way to handle the disaster
- recognizing disaster occurring signs
- integrating the principal of disaster mitigation management in the learning system
- preparing the campus community to be fast responded to face the disaster
GEOGRAPHY SAVING ENERGY AND WATER RESOURCE
Realizing knowledge, attitude and action of all academic civities of Faculty of Geography that care about energy saving and water resources:
- Develop the attitude and knowledge about energy saving and water resources in learning process
- Use electricity energy economically and optimally according to it demands, which are:
- determine and use energy saving electronic products,
- convert all electronic instruments into energy saving instruments,
- organize the light and air circulation to reduce the electricity using (for lamp and cooler),
- organize the number of lamp,
- turn the lamp off in daytime or when the sunlight capable to shine the environment,
- open the curtain that covered sunlight,
- turn off the lamp immediately when the lamp lights not in the right time,
- only turn on AC when the weather become warm, only between 09.00-16.00 WIB in 23-24 Celcius Degree,
- close the door and window when the AC turned on,
- turn off the lamp and computer when leave the office,
- Always encourage to plan the use of vehicles to save energy (fuel), including using fuel-efficient vehicles;
- Faculty of Geography UGM encourages and facilitates researches about alternative energy;
- Use water sparingly and optimally according to their needs, including:
- Use water sufficiently in frugal ways,
- minimize water leaks and fix the leaking faucets as early as possible,
- Use the optimum diameter of faucets,
- Do not leave the faucet open when not in use. Immediately close the faucet,
- Process and reuse the clean water waste,
- Develop a model of natural resources (water) conservation in campus and off campus, including:
- Minimize overland water runoff in the campus environment,
- Create and develop absorption wells,
- Create and develop bio pore models.
- Faculty of Geography UGM encourages and facilitates researches on the conservation of natural resources.
Realizing the knowledge, attitude and actions of all academic civities of Faculty of Geography to be care about their own health and environment:
- Provide facility for geographers to always maintain their health by exercising;
- Faculty of Geography provides some spaces and facility in campus for sport activities;
- Faculty of Geography facilitates the establishment of sports community;
- Provide medical check up facility (in GMC) regularly to all geographers;
- Specify certain days to exercise;
- Develop organic lifestyle and increase the consumption of fruits, fresh vegetables and foods containing fiber, and reduce fatty foods;
- Providing health direction for food and beverages circulating within the faculty, especially in the canteen by applying healthy and halal principles. This includes ensuring that the source of food used in campus comes from service/goods providers that implement sustainable/environmentally friendly agriculture, including the use of organic materials for agriculture cultivation and processing;
- Avoid the use of Styrofoam for food wrappers;
- Prohibit smoking activities in the campus environment. Stop smoking, because it damages health and pollutes the environment;
- Prohibit activities cigarette buying and selling and food and beverage types that damage health.
- Give encouragement to geography community to ride bicycles in campus environment.
- Always keep the campus clean and healthy
GEOGRAPHY FRIENDLY AND CULTURED
Realizing the knowledge, attitude and actions of all academic community in Faculty of Geography that friendly to each other and their environment, including:
- Keep the good manners in associating with lecturers, staffs / educational staff, and fellow students (asah-asih-asuh in Indonesian, or people matter)
- Always greetings when meet with others, as well as guests visiting Faculty of Geography
- Respect to elder and love to younger, the basis of the lecturer-student-staff relationship.
- Give advises each other and compete in goodness
- Continue to develop empathy and sympathy attitude towards others, “happy to see others happy, and inconvenience to see others difficult,” and
- Do not like to make people difficult, especially to everything that can be simplified.
- Always uphold the discipline, norms and rules that have been set (follow the code of ethics)
- Always looks neat and polite especially in dress and makeup (hair and face).
- Do not use transparent and tight clothes that highlighted body shapes
- Do not wear earrings for men
- Comb your hair neatly
- Do not wear T-shirts and sandals in the learning activities, especially in the classroom.
- Do not engage in criminal and immoral activities that are not suitable with religious and public norms.
GEOGRAPHY PRO ENVIRONMENT POLICY
Realizing some policies that are pro to the environment, including:
- Develop the principles of EFSD (Education for Sustainable Development) throughout the learning process.
- Vision and mission of the Faculty of Geography development supports pro environmental movement.
- Encourage the development of human resource capacity in environmental management.
- Providing a supportive policy facility for the environment commemoration days (annex)
- Community service based on environmental management policy with the application of environment-based KKN, school coaching and environmental teachers
- Special budget allocation policy in the field of environmental management in campus.
- global environmental issues socialization policy for all geographers especially for employees, such as energy, ozone, climate change, biodiversity, hazardous and toxic materials, oil spills, marine, etc.
- Cooperation and partnership policy in environmental management with various parties.
- All academic community of Faculty of Geography UGM have a moral obligation to realize the principles and ideals of Environmentally Friendly Campus.
- Environmentally Friendly Campus is a joint movement, therefore its success is a shared responsibility. The key to EFC’s success is the desire to change, to challenges ourselves to be better.
- Environmentally Friendly Campus is a small effort but will be a big movement if able to change our attitudes and behavior. Start from ourselves and do it now.
This guide is valid since it was set
Issued in: Yogyakarta
Date : 23 March 2021
Dr. Andri Kurniawan, S.Si., M.Si.